Picota and Kumbh have been making some MASSIVE moves in the past year. Their newest venture has been partnering up with the legendary COPPA and his label Comanche Records. We sat down and asked them about their foundations, and their future in this exclusive interview. Once you finish, make sure to check out the podcast as they are definately pushing some awesome sounds!
Picota & Kumbh Interview
BestDNB: Tell us how you got turned on to drum and bass, and how did you guys meet and begin to start making tunes together.
P: I started to listen D&B when I was very young, when it wasn’t development in Spain.
I managed to buy my first Technics and CDJ, and was all the day mixing DNB with my friends at home. In this time we like to put some tracks of DNB with my friends in 33RPM in the technics and really sounds sick. I started to play in some parties and a lot of Raves.
More later I started to study my studies of “Technician of sound” where I met good people who show me “ FL Studio” , and since this moment I was totally sure that I need more than mixing DNB, I wanted to make DNB . I started to experimenting all the days with DAWS and now here we are 🙂
K: Before music I draw, but it was still empty inside me. I didn’t have a goal. One day I saw my brother making music with FL Study and I asked him to download it for my Pc. I started to make classical music with another name and with my brother as my master. Two years after my beginning in this world we decided to mix my orchestra with his electronic tracks and it was Dope! Our first Collab was “Cigarretes can kill you”. Since this day we keep making music and discovering this mysterious world together.
BestDNB: You have very unique names, Picota and Kumbh. Where did they come from?
P: The origin of “ Picota “ its so funny , because when I was very young I got angry a lot with people. In Spain when one guy is angry, we say that he is “Picado”. In this way I was called “Picota”.
K: My name comes from a peregrination called Kumbh Mela where the Indian people clean their sins, to reset their lives, swiming in the Ganjes; the river. So it´s a metaphore: I used to make just Orchestra with another name and because of my brother, I started to make Neuro with him. So it s like I had cleaned my sins, my past , to make a new style.
BestDNB: What made you fall in love with Drum and Bass?
P&K: “Music is the only one that make us feel so good”.
BestDNB: How did you come to be signed to Coppa’s label, Comanche Records?
P&K:We have always like the work of MC Coppa, is one of the best MC of DNB for us. But we didnt´t know that he had a label. We spoke with him for make a collab and he give us the soundcloud of Comanche. At this way we send him our first EP .
BestDNB: What were you into before drum and bass?
P&K:“There is nothing before D&B man” Before D&B there was an unhappy and sad world 🙂
BestDNB: Who are your current favorite drum and bass producers in 2016?
P&K: On the one hand we really love Noisia and the Upbeats, Audio, Mefjus and Billain. They are pioneers in this world and they have revolutionized the Neuro creating a lot of ways to compose music. Each one has his own path to make music and “that´s Dope!”
On the other hand, another two bands whose music make us fall in love are “The Clamps” and “Gydra”. They are such a fantastic musicians.
BestDNB: Tell us a bit about your forthcoming release on Comanche Records
P&K: We are working in new beats based on dark and cinematic ambients. We have a couple of secrets that will being discovered very soon
BestDNB: Tell us about a crazy and/or embarassing moment you had while playing a show / being in the studio.
P&K: Yes, we have had various funny moments. In one of these, I played in a party that the promoter and organizer forgot to rent the CDJ. When we were going to play , there was not even a table to use for the show. Yes! it was crazy, We could not believe it. Luckily I had my personal CDJ-200 of my studio in the car because I had been playing with a friend in his house before, and I had to put them for play.
BestDNB: Where do you see drum and bass heading in the next few years?
P&K: We know that the music changes constantly. so we know that current D&B is going to change. Currently music producers as Noisia are always innovating this style to make it rebirth again. We like that people use his creativity to make new styles, whatever we hope that D&B Darkness doesn’t change.
BestDNB: One quick production tip to share with the world.
P&K: An advice to every musician is the creativity. In our case, we try to apply the cinema to the Neuro and that´s the way we use to enjoy!
Our final advice is in reference of the basses. The bass must sounds nice without too many effects; try different distortions and EQs. All the people said “Experimenting is very important”. This is long career where you have your up and down and where you never have give up if you really like to make music you will continuous in this world whatever what happen.
BestDNB: Well we definately appreciate you guys taking the time to talk with us! Thanks also for this killer mix, and we know you will be doing amazing things with Comanche Records! For all the readers out there, check out the podcast as well as all the info below!
Best Drum and Bass Podcast Info
Bad Syntax Tracklist:
- Phaeny – The Rookie [Abducted LTD]
- Dossa & Locuzzed – Meteor [Mainframe]
- Mob Tactics – Get Dirty [Viper]
- Gradual ft Coppa – Beware [Technique]
- L33 – Clublife [Eatbrain]
- Invertex – Dark Matter [Abducted LTD]
- Subminderz & Warp Fa2e – Dishonored [C2D]
- L33 – Rei [Blackout]
- The Sect – Tetromino [TSM]
- Seppa – Trojan [AutomAte]
- Pish Posh – The Moon (Blacklab RMX) [Abducted LTD]
- ChaseR – Highpass [Ignescent]
- Encode – Overwatch [Ignescent]
- The Sect – Orbiter [TSM]
- Ophlot – Timelash [Abducted LTD]
- Subminderz & Warp Fa2e – Pain [C2D]
- Agressor Bunx – Elephant [Ignescent]
- Lost City & Bassface Sascha & Navigator – Sound the Alarm [Liondub]
- L33 – Earthbounce [Eatbrain]
- Kiril – Nightcall [The Dreamers]
- NickBee – Stretched [Ignescent]
- Phaeny – Back Home [Abducted LTD]
- Eastcolors & Nami – Times [Addictive Behaviour]
- Seppa – Coriolis [AutomAte]
- Lost City & Ziggi Recado & Zion I Kings – Many More [Liondub]
- Signs – Obsession [Nemesis]
- Ophlot – Seismic [Abducted LTD]
- AudioSketch ft Hannah Eve – Forever Autumn [Soul Trader]
- Detail & Tilu – Delusion (Eastcolors RMX) [Addictive Behaviour]
- Phaeny Escape [Abducted LTD]
Picota & Kumbh Tracklist
- Picota & Kumbh – Alpha Centauro (Comanche Records)
- Phace & Noisia – Drawback (Critical)
- Phace & Current Value – Wild Thing (Critical)
- Phace & Rockwell – Yes (Critical)
- Enei & Mefjus – Dead Space (Critical)
- Mefjus – Suicide Bassline VIP (Critical)
- Mefjus – Godzilla (Audio Rmx) (Critical)
- Picota & Kumbm – Skirmish (Kosen)
- The Clamps – South Shaker (D&B France)
- Gydra – ID
- Picota & Kumbh – Transilvania (Kosen)
- Mefjus – Taking ( Ed Rush Remix) (Critical)
- Gydra – ID
- Machine Code – Solar Core (Eatbrain)
- L33 – Scream (Eatbrain)
- Gydra – ID
- Picota & Kumbh – Conviction (Comanche Records)
- Heamy – Lightning Storm (Tam Records)
- Phace & Culprate – Logic Bomb (Critical)
- Picota & Kumbh – Spanish Invasion (Kosen)
Follow Picota & Kumbh:
Follow the new 100% Drum and Bass Label Abducted LTD
Download / Listen to our weekly podcasts (every friday)
(Soundcloud) http://bit.ly/ltdpodcast or (iTunes) http://bit.ly/bestdnb
Follow Bad Syntax
Keep up to date on the Best Drum and Bass
Preview & Comment on Soundcloud (Coming Soon)